The Christmas season is fast approaching and we meet many clients who struggle to feel included due to their restrictive diet. Here at Sunlight Nutrition we have been experimenting in the kitchen and have put together this recipe. It is suitable if you are following a Low FODMAP diet and is milk free, egg free, wheat free, gluten free and nut free. We would love to hear your thoughts if you get a chance to try it out…
To make 8 mini pies or 1 x 7 inch tart
50g fresh cranberries
1 whole orange (flesh and juice 160g)
35g stem ginger in syrup
3 tablespoons light brown sugar (75g)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
200g low FODMAP (gluten free) Flour
100g butter / vegan spread
6 tablespoons water (50-60ml)
1 teaspoon Xantham gum (if using gluten free flour)
1. Place flour (and Xantham gum) into a mixing bowl. Add the butter / vegan spread and mix until it has the appearance of breadcrumbs. Slowly add water and pull the mixture together to form a dough. Rest for 30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C
3. Grease a baking tin or tart dish (I used vegetable oil and spread with a pastry brush)
4. Place all the Fruit mix ingredients into a saucepan and place on the hob. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat so the mixture simmers. Cover and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes until all the fruit has softened and the liquid starts to thicken.
5. After the pastry has rested roll out onto greaseproof paper until around 3-4mm thick. Use a pastry cutter or the tart dish to shape the pastry.
6. Add the fruit filling, put the pastry tops on (you could coat with egg wash if you wanted a golden colour) and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes
7. Check the pies, they should feel firm to touch. Once cooked place on a wire rack to cool.
8. Dust with icing sugar, serve and enjoy.