This is a great festive cake to make for family and friends at Christmas time and has been adapted by Sunlight Nutrition to be suitable for those who are following a low FODMAP diet to manage their IBS symptoms.
For the cake
- 200g of soft dairy free margarine
- 200g of granulated sugar
- 50g ground almonds
- 100g rice flour
- 150g polenta
- 1 ½ tsp of baking powder
- 3 eggs
- Zest and juice of 2 large oranges
- 90g of blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
For the syrup
- Juice of 1 orange
- 50g of granulated sugar
- Grease 8-10 inch cake tin with your butter alternative and pre-heat the oven to 180’/ 160’ fan.
- Beat the sugar and butter with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy
- In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients of ground almonds, polenta, rice flour and baking powder.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients into the butter sugar mix whilst also beating in the eggs, alternating between the two.
- Zest and juice both oranges and fold into mixture, along with the mixed spice and most of the blueberries (leave a few for decoration).
- Pour mixture into pre-prepared tin, place the rest of the blueberries on top of the cake and bake for 35-40 minutes. The cake should be a bit wobbly when taken out but a cake tester should come out mostly clean.
- Whilst your cake is baking make the syrup. Juice your orange and boil with your sugar in a small saucepan until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Once your cake is ready, leave in the tin and make lots of small pricks all over the cake. Then pour your syrup over the cake and leave to cool in the tin.
- Once cooled removed from the tin and decorate with fresh orange slices and maybe some edible flowers. Or for an extra Christmas touch decorate with cinnamon sticks and cloves.